Installation of the On/Off Switch (196cc)
This covers the following Champion Power Equipment models: 196cc Manual Start Engine Powered Generators.
Please note: Read instructions carefully and completely before performing service.
- Remove the four corner bolts (10mm socket heard) on the front panel where the switch is located.
- Carefully lower the panel assembly without pulling on the main wire harness to much.
- Remove the three Phillips head screws holding the large black cover on the backside of the panel.
- Relax the cover over the main wiring harness to allow ample room to work.
- Check for any loose wiring on the ignition switch preventing the switch from working. If any are loose, this may solve your problem. (Note: Be sure to remove the ground wire (black) from the panel just in case it may already have a poor connection. It may be insulated from a good ground if there is too much paint under the terminal mounting screw. You may want to clean some paint off of the mounting screw hole to assure a good ground connection happens.)
- If you are replacing the ignition switch, remove the wires at the plug-in locations and then remove the switch from the panel by pressing the plastic locking tabs alongside the switch. The switch will have to be removed from the panel at this time.
- Insert the new switch in the panel until it locks in place. Attach the wires to previous locations. After you have confirmed the switch is working, bring the black cover over the panel and install the three screws. (Note: You may need to reposition the main wire harness boot that goes through the black plastic cover first.)
- You can reinstall the panel and attach it with the four (6mm) bolts.