Cleaning the Pilot Jet
This bulletin covers the following Champion Power Equipment models: All 196cc - 459cc Open Frame models.
Read the instructions carefully and complete before performing service.
- Remove the back plastic Phillips head screw on top of the pilot jet.
- Using a small, flat head screwdriver, pop the plastic pilot jet out from the carburetor body. On 270cc + engines there may be a spacer between the black plastic screw and pilot jet.
196cc - 224cc Engines:
270cc + Engines:
- Using a strand of copper wire small enough to fit through the hole, clean the jet passageway. Then spray through the jet with carburetor or break cleaner, and then compressed air if available.
- Reinstall the pilot jet making sure the groove on top of the jet is inline with the airflow.
- Reinstall the pilot jet capture plate and Phillips head screw.
- After you have placed the pilot jet back into its original spot, you will want to spray carburetor cleaner through the port shown below. Give it a good amount, as we are trying to now clear the passageway leading to and from the pilot jet itself.
View and download the PDF version here.