Recoil Rope Replacement
This bulletin covers the following Champion Power Equipment models: All recoil-start gasoline engines.
Please read all the instructions completely before performing this service.
- Remove the three 10x13 bolts that hold the recoil assembly to the engine cover.
- Cut the knot on the inside and remove the old rope along with the handle. Remove any broken pieces of rope inside the pulley that recoils the rope.
- Take a new length of rope (approximately 3"). Place the rope through the hole in the pulley inside the housing that holds the rope onto it during retraction.
- Feed the rope into the hole all the way and pull it through the guide hole on the outside of the recoil assembly. Place the pull handle on the rope and secure the stop-knot.
- Pull about half of the rope back towards the inside of the pulley. With one loop of the rope on the inside of the recoil assembly, rotate the pulley until the rope aligns with the open slot on the outer edge of the pulley.
- Pull the rope into the slot and take the loose part of the rope inside the pulley and rotate the pulley about three turns until the tension spring resists. Hold the pulley from reversing until the rope is ready to wind back onto the pulley.
- Release the rope from the slot and pull the excess rope to the outside the pulley and rewind onto the pulley. If the recoil tension is too weak, repeat pulling the excess toward the center of the pulley, placing it back into the slot, and wind it one or two more revolutions and then release.
View and download the PDF version here.