The covers all Champion Power Equipment models featuring an Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR):
Read instructions carefully and completely before performing service.
Tools required: 7 mm wrench or socket.
Time required: 0.1 hr. (6 minutes)
- Remove the two 7 mm bolts that secure the round, yellow generator end cover.
- Remove the cover.
- Locate the two blade terminals connecting the AVR to the brush assembly. This connection is found at the 12 o'clock position.
- One terminal has a band on the wire with a (+) sign on it. This is the positive connection.
- The other wire is either going to be either white or yellow and is the negative (-) connection.
- Remove the negative connection and then start the generator.
- Taking the disconnected negative terminal, scratch it over the mating connection. This should result in a noticeable, low voltage electric spark (no danger of shock!).
- If there is a noticeable spark, the field has successfully been polarized.
- Reconnect the negative terminal.
- Reattach the generator end cover and bolt in place.
If this does not successfully polarize the field, it may be necessary to inspect and/or replace the brushes and/or AVR.
View and download the PDF version here.