Replacing the Fuel Valve
This covers the following Champion Power Equipment products: 80cc - 439cc Open Frame Generators.
Read instructions carefully and completely before performing service.
Fuel and fuel vapors are highly flammable and extremely explosive. Fire or explosion ca cause severe burns or death. Unintentional start-up ca results in entanglement, traumatic amputation, or laceration. When servicing: Loosen the cap slowly to relieve pressure in the tank. Always keep the fuel away from sparks, open flames, pilot lights, heat, and other sources of ignition. DO NOT light or smoke cigarettes. Wipe up any spilled fuel immediately. Allow fuel residue to evaporate fully before attempting to service or start the engine. Make certain that the product is resting firmly on a leveled ground. DO NOT tip the product or allow fuel or oil to spill. Make certain that the fuel shut-off valve is in the "OFF" position.
Sparks can result in fire or electrical shock. When servicing: Disconnect the spark plug wire and place it where it cannot contact the spark plug.
Our engines work well with 10% or less ethanol blend fuels. Use clean, fresh, regular unleaded fuel with a minimum octane rating of 85 and an ethanol content of less that 10% by volume.
- Important: Make sure all gasoline removed from the tank before performing this task.
- With a pair of needle-nose pliers, pinch the clamp that holds the fuel line to the fuel valve and slide it off. (A)
- With a 14 mm wrench (9/16 in.), loosen the bolt at the top of the fuel valve, where the fuel valve meets the fuel tank. (B)
- Remove the fuel valve.
- Take the new fuel valve and screw it into the bottom of the gas tank with your fingers. The nut on the top of the fuel valve should be positioned, so that 1-2 threads are visible below the nut on the fuel valve. (C)
- While holding the fuel valve so that the lever faces out, tighten it with the 14 mm wrench. DO NOT over-tighten.
- Reconnect the fuel line, making sure the clamp is secured to the nipple of the fuel valve. (A)
View and download the PDF version here.