Valve Adjustments (1800-Watt and Below Generators)
This covers the following Champion Power Equipment models: All 1800-watt and under open-frame generators.
Please perform this procedure when the engine is cold.
- Remove the OHV cover from the top of the engine. Usually a 10 mm socket with extension and ratchet.
- Pull the recoil assembly until the intake rocker arm is all the way in the down position, compressing the valve spring.
- When the intake is in the down position, we are going to adjust the exhaust rocker arm between 0.008 in.
- Pull the recoil assembly until the exhaust rocker is all the way in the down position, compressing the valve spring.
- Now, we are going to adjust the intake rocker arm between 0.006 in.
- Reinstall the valve cover and gasket. Be sure the breather tube is connected from the valve cover to the air filter backing plate.
- Start and confirm the engine's running sounds. The engine should sound normal at this point.
Watch a valve adjustment be performed on an OHV engine here: https://youtu.be/mYrdnPVmaDs