Soldering Broken Rotor Wire
This covers the following Champion Power Equipment models: 2800-9500W Generators.
Read instructions carefully and completely before performing service.
- To reduce the risk of injury, user must read and understand the operator’s manual before using this product.
- DO NOT make any adjustments to the generator without first stopping the engine and disconnecting the spark plug wire.
- Burns from hot parts — let the engine cool completely before touching hot parts.
- Injury from moving parts
- To reduce the possibility of fire or explosion, be careful when working around gasoline. Keep cigarettes, sparks and flames away from all fuel‐related parts.
- Remove the end cover (round yellow cover) held on with two 7mm socket head bolts.
- Locate the brush assembly at about the 11 o'clock position. It has a red or blue wire with a band showing a positive (+) sign on it; the black, white, or yellow is on the right side of the red wire. Below the blue or red wires is an 8mm bolt that needs to be removed and a metal stabilization plate with it having a positive (+) mark and a negative (-) mark stamped on it.
- Remove the brush assembly from the hole and carefully inspect it for any damage. It will look uniformed if there are no signs of wear. If the brushes are significantly different in length, then they should be replaced.
- Now by looking into the cavity made by the brush holder being removed, you can inspect the soldered contact wires on the slip rings that are used to contact the brushes. You may find that one of the two soldered connections has broken. It is usually difficult to see, so be sure to move them to be able to determine if there is a break in one of the connections. Each will be soldered on a single connection and attached as the brass slip ring. Each will be 180 degrees apart, one on each slip ring.
- Be re-soldering the connection with a pistol type soldering gun, you can reach the connection easily. If you find that the gap is too significant, you can place a similar piece of copper wire alongside to the original wire. This repair has proved reliable since the fix does not crystalize the contact point as originally happened.
View and download the PDF version here.