Return Valve Adjustment
This bulletin covers all Champion Power Equipment log splitters with the threaded plastic cap on the end of the control valve assembly.
- To reduce the risk of injury, user must read and understand the operator’s manual before using this product.
- DO NOT make any adjustments to the generator without first stopping the engine and disconnecting the spark plug wire.
- Burns from hot parts — let the engine cool completely before touching hot parts.
- Injury from moving parts
- To reduce the possibility of fire or explosion, be careful when working around gasoline. Keep cigarettes, sparks and flames away from all fuel‐related parts.
When the control lever is moved to the retract position, it can be released and will stay until the wedge has fully retracted.
When fully retracted, the pressure in the valve builds quickly and reaches the set-point of the auto-return adjustment. Then the control lever automatically shifts to the neutral position.
If the wedge stops before it is fully retracted, the auto-return adjustment is set too low. Follow the steps below to increase the auto-return pressure adjustment:
- Unscrew the plastic cap from the end of the control valve by hand (side opposite the control lever). Cap is shown sitting on top of the control valve.
- Insert an allen wrench (hex key) into the recess of the threaded shaft.
- Use a wrench to break loose the nut (turn it counter-clockwise).
- Tighten the threaded shaft 1/4 turn (clockwise) to increase the auto-return pressure.
- Hold the threaded shaft in place so it does not turn, and tighten the nut to lock it in position.
Decreasing the Auto-Return Pressure
Follow the same steps above, except turn the threaded shaft counterclockwise 1/4 turn to decrease the auto-return pressure.
View and download the PDF version here.