Chainsaw Setup and Startup
This bulletin covers the following models: 100283 16” 40cc Chainsaw, 100641 18” 45cc Chainsaw, 100642 16” 40cc Chainsaw, and 100647 18” 40cc Chainsaw.
- To reduce the risk of injury, user must read and understand the operator’s manual before using this product.
- DO NOT make any adjustments to the product without first stopping the engine and disconnecting the spark plug wire.
- Burns from hot parts — let the engine cool completely before touching hot parts.
- Injury from moving parts
- To reduce the possibility of fire or explosion, be careful when working around gasoline. Keep cigarettes, sparks and flames away from all fuel‐related parts.
Gasoline 87 octane or higher
5 litres / 1 Imperial Gallon
125 ml / 4.0 oz
Bar & Chain oil
Never store the machine with gasoline in the fuel tank in a confined area with improper ventilation. Gasoline fumes could reach open flames, sparks, and cigarettes etc.
- Mix gasoline with 2-cycle oil ratio 40:1 (40 parts gasoline to 1 part 2-cycle oil). Add 125 ml / 4.0 oz of 2-cycle oil to container, and then add 5 litres / 1 Imperial gallon of gas to container. Gently agitate the fuel mix in container, this will mix fuel evenly before fueling the unit.
- Fill the fuel tank (approx. 500ml). Securely tighten fuel cap.
Wipe up any fuel that may have spilled.
If you spill fuel on the unit, wait 10 minutes after wiping before starting.
Move the unit at least 30 ft. (9.1 m) from the fuel container and the fueling site before starting the engine.
*When fueling or using your chainsaw, a fire extinguisher should be available.
- Fill the chain/bar oil reservoir with bar and chain oil.
Securely tighten the cap.
- Engage the chain brake PUSH FORWARD away from handle.
- Remove the chain guard.
- Slowly press and release the primer bulb 4 – 6 times (fully in and out in succession), or until fuel is visible and flows freely into the clear tank return line and primer bulb is full.
- Pull out the choke knob.
- DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE CONTROL. Set the unit on a flat, level surface. Clear the area of any objects that could contact the saw chain.
- DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE CONTROL. Crouch in the starting position. Hold the handle and pull with other hand. Insert foot into boot loop to help hold the unit firmly in place while pull starting.
- DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE CONTROL. Pull the starter rope with a controlled and steady motion up to four times or until engine starts. (If engine starts immediately, skip to step 13.)
- If unit does NOT start, DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE CONTROL. Push the choke knob in.
- DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE CONTROL. Pull the starter rope with a controlled and steady motion one to four times to start the engine.
- When engine starts, push in the choke knob, and lightly feather throttle as engine warms up. Allow the engine to warm up for 30 – 60 seconds. If engine does not start after Step 12, disengage the chain brake, and hold the throttle wide open with no choke and pull it about four times; this will clear it out if engine has flooded. Once engine starts, continue to hold the throttle in the full throttle position until excessive smoke and fuel is exhausted out (about 2 to 3 seconds) and engine revs smoothly.
- Press and hold the throttle lockout. Lightly squeeze and release the throttle control to release the choke automatically and idle the engine.
- Gently squeeze the throttle trigger with short bursts to ensure that engine runs without any hesitation in acceleration.
*The engine is properly warmed up when it accelerates without hesitation.
- When you are ready to begin operation, disengage the chain brake, press the throttle lock out, and squeeze the throttle control to accelerate the engine as needed.