AVR Voltage Adjustment
This covers the following Champion Power Equipment models: 196cc - 439cc Engine Powered Generators.
Read instructions carefully and completely before performing service.
- On the end of the generator locate the round, yellow cover held on by two 7 mm bolts. Remove the bolts and the yellow cover will come right off.
- At approximately 7 o'clock, you will see a kidney-shaped electrical component called the AVR, which is held by another set of 7 mm bolts. Remove the bolts, but do not disconnect the wiring, and turn the AVR over so you can see the backside. You should be able to see a round piece coming off the AVR--this is the capacitor. You will also see a small rectangular box with a jewelers screw--this is your voltage adjustment screw.
- With a flat head screwdriver, turn the jeweler's screw counter-clockwise; this will lower the voltage. As the screw is turned back, watch the volt meter to see said adjustment; the generator must be running to do this.
- On a 5000W + unit, adjust the screw until the meter reads 250 volts. On smaller units the voltage should read 120 volts.
- If the voltage does not decrease or does not hold a steady output, please contact our technicians at 1-877-338-0999 for a new AVR.
View and download the PDF version here.