AVR Voltage Adjustment
This covers the following Champion Power Equipment models: 196cc - 439cc Engine Powered Generators.
Please note: Read instructions carefully and completely before performing service.
- On the end of the generator locate the round, yellow cover held on by two 7mm bolts. Remove the bolts and the yellow cover will come right off.
- At approximately 7 o'clock, you will see a kidney-shaped electrical component called the AVR, which is held by another set of 7mm bolts. Remove the bolts, but do not disconnect the wiring, and turn the AVR over so you can see the backside. You should be able to see a round piece coming off the AVR--this is the capacitor. You will also see a small rectangular box with a jewelers screw--this is your voltage adjustment screw.
- With a flathead screwdriver, turn the jeweler's screw counter-clockwise; this will lower the voltage. As the screw is turned back, watch the volt meter to see said adjustment; the generator must be running to do this.
- On a 5000W + unit, adjust the screw until the meter reads 250 volts. On smaller units the voltage should read 120 volts.
- If the voltage does not decrease or does not hold a steady output, please contact our technicians at 1-877-338-0999 for a new AVR.