Fuel Flow Test, Carburetor Jet Service Procedures
This bulletin covers all gasoline powered Champion Power Equipment engines:
Please read the instructions completely before performing the service.
- If only servicing the carburetor jet, continue to step four. If the engine is difficult to start, continue to step two.
- Remove the air cleaner cover, filter, and filter seat. Using carburetor cleaner, spray some into the opening of the carburetor through the port of the air cleaner housing.
- Quickly attempt to start the generator. If the generator only shows signs of starting or starts and runs for a few seconds, there could be debris plugging the jet which meters fuel flow to the engine.
- To access the jet, remove the 10mm bolt located at the bottom of the carburetor holding the float bowl in place.
- With a 3/8" flat head screwdriver, slide the screwdriver through the hole of the 10mm bolt just removed. Turn the screwdriver slightly until the blade drops into a slot. Pushing up, firmly rotate counter-clockwise to unscrew the jet.
- Examine the hole that runs through the middle of the jet; those should be completely clear of all dirt, debris, and grit. Using a wire brush of fine piece of wire, run it down through the hole to assure no blockage. If available, use compressed air to blow away debris that may linger in the jet and cause blockage.
- Check the fuel flow before re-attaching the float bowl. Place a small plastic container under the carburetor and turn the fuel valve to the "On" position and back to the "Off" position. Keep the fuel on long enough to see fuel come out of the carburetor. If fuel begins to flow, continue to step nine. If fuel still does not flow, continue to step eight.
- Move the white plastic float up and down to help loosen the float; if fuel still does not flow, slide the pin that holds the float in place and let the float drop down. Examine the need for possible debris and clean. Replace the needle and float with the pin and check for fuel again. If fuel flow is still staggering, please contact us at 1-877-338-0999 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further technical assistance.
- Reattach the float bowl with a 10mm screw and tighten. Be careful not to over-tighten as that may cause damage to the bowl.
View and download the PDF version here.