End Cover Assembly Installation
This covers the following Champion Power Equipment models: 196cc Engine Powered Generators.
Read instructions carefully and completely before performing service. A small amount of fuel may be present when the hose is detached from the fuel valve. Do not try this installation until all presence of fuel has dissipated. A few minutes will evaporate any fuel present.
- To reduce the risk of injury, user must read and understand the operator’s manual before using this product.
- DO NOT make any adjustments to the generator without first stopping the engine and disconnecting the spark plug wire.
- Burns from hot parts — let the engine cool completely before touching hot parts.
- Injury from moving parts
- To reduce the possibility of fire or explosion, be careful when working around gasoline. Keep cigarettes, sparks and flames away from all fuel‐related parts.
- Remove the handle (2 - 8mm bolts) for mobile movement from the main frame.
- Turn the fuel valve to the "OFF" position and relax the hose clip at the fuel valve and remove the fuel hose with a firm pull.
- Remove the fuel tank and gently remove the top of the main frame. Find a secure place for the tank while the rest of the installation is being done.
- Remove the muffler guard with mounting bolts; remove the muffler with the two nuts on the engine end of the muffler. Remove the two mounting bolts on the opposite end and remove the muffler from the chassis.
- Remove the generator end cover bolts and remove the cover.
- Loosen the 8mm nuts on the end cover assembly mounting lugs and loosen the two nuts underneath the rubber isolator attached to the main frame. Do not remove the rubber isolator at this time, just loosen the fastening nuts.
- With a 7 or 8mm socket "loosen only" the electrical component mounting bolts. One bolt through the middle of the DC rectifier diode, two bolts through the AVR, two bolts through the terminal block, and one bolt holding the brush assembly.
- Now you need to remove the wires from the brush assembly (Wire with the positive tag installs on the left-hand contact and the nylon connector plug attached to the AVR). Remove the AVR and place it in a safe location.
- Remove the remaining bolts previously loosened for the electrical components. DO NOT remove anymore wires at this time.
- With a piece of paper, make a note of the colors and the terminal location for the generators field winding connectors. Drawing a picture with the colors of the wires and locations, 1-4 on the terminal block will allow the reassembly to be simple. Upon removing the holding nuts (8mm socket) and washers, the terminals will lift off the stud bolts at the same time. You will remove these wires through the cover opening after following the next few steps.
- There are four bolts to remove holding the end cover in place. They can be removed with a 100mm socket with an extension on a ratchet.
- Now it is time to remove the loosened nuts from the rubber isolators on the frame side of the end cover you are replacing. Place a product underneath the generator to keep its end from hitting the frame when you remove the end cover. You could also place the generator on the frame vertically with the engine facing down; this will give you plenty of stability too, but this is your choice. Lift the generator end cover upward and remove the isolators from the frame. Lower the generator on a support pile of rags: A 2x4 about 18" long or equivalent across the lower frame will work. THIS PROVIDES TEMPORARY SUPPORT ONLY.
- The end cover can now be removed with just a slight tap on the side of the end cover with a wooden hammer handle (do not use a steel handle), and a pulling motion from the end cover in the direction of the removal outwardly. It will remove without difficulty with a few taps. Do not aggressively hit with the steel end of a hammer. If you have any difficulty with its removal at this stage, please call technical support for further instructions. When the cover comes off, carefully remove all electrical components through the opening at the top side of the end cover.
- You are now ready to reassemble with the new end cover.
- Place the wiring harness through the new end cover. With the cover in hand, carefully center the cover over the end bearing and tap it with a wooden hammer handle, carefully ensuring to cover the centers of the bearing. Once you are sure the cover has been centered on the bearing safely, then position the end cover to align with the securing bolt holes. Place the long bolts through the cover and finger tighten until they just begin to pull the end cover down. if you use a cross tightening sequence on these bolts, the cover will draw down evenly and squarely. Do not firmly tighten until the cover appears to be fully against the generator housing.
- You can locate the isolator rubbers in the end cover feet at this time. Place both in the holes of the end cover before lowering it into the frame holes. Place the four nuts on the mounting studs on all sides of the isolator rubbers. Tighten all of the nuts at this time.
- Place all the electrical components in their appropriate place in the end cover and carefully tighten, but not too tight, all the bolts. Since they are plastic holders, you must not over tighten them to prevent them from breaking. Just a firm tightening will do.
- After the electrical components are back in place, you can put the trim cover on the with the two 5mm bolts that hold the cover. Be carefully to not pinch any wires when placing the trim cover on the end cover housing.
- Place the muffler assembly over the cylinders exhaust studs and loosely tighten the 8mm nuts that attach to the studs. Place the bolts through the muffler end mounting locations and then loosely tighten. Continue the final tightening at the cylinder exhaust studs and finish with the rear muffler mounting bolts. Install the muffler heat shield and attach it with the five 6mm bolts and tighten.
- Place the fuel tank in place with the fuel valve facing the air cleaner side of the engine. Install the four 6mm mounting bolts loosely and then tighten after all have been started. Finish by placing the hose with its clip onto the fitting at the fuel valve.
- Install the handle for moving the generator using the 8mm bolts.
- Your installation should be complete now. Start the generator as you would normally and confirm the volt meter is showing voltage. This will confirm your generator is working properly.
View and download the PDF version here.