This covers the following Champion Power Equipment models: 79cc - 439cc Engines.
Please note: Read instructions carefully and completely before performing service.
Please note: The valve adjustment on these engines will extend the useful life by keeping the clearance between the rocker arm and valve stem at the correct measurement. Too loose of a clearance and the chance of valve collar failure increases along with excessive noise from the rocker arm hitting the end of the valve stem like a hammer. Too tight a clearance and hard starting or significant loss of compression will take power away from the engine.
Please perform this procedure when the engine is cold.
- Remove the OHV cover from the top of the engine. Usually a 10mm socket with extension and ratchet.
- Pull the recoil assembly until intake rocker arm is all the way in the down position, compressing the valve spring.
- When the intake is in the down position, we are going to adjust the exhaust rocker arm to .008.
- Pull the recoil assembly until the exhaust rocker arm is all the way in the down position, compressing the vale spring.
- Now we are going to adjust the intake rocker arm to .006.
- Re-install the valve cover and gasket. Be sure the breather tube is connected from the valve cover to the air fulter backing plate.
- Start and confirm the engine's running sounds. The engine should sound normal at this point.