Valve Adjustments (Non-Inverter Type Generators)
This covers the following Champion Power Equipment models: All open-frame generators including the Digital Hybrid models.
Read instructions carefully and completely before performing service.
The valve adjustment on these engines will extend the useful life by keeping the clearance between the rocker arm and valve stem at the correct measurement. Too loose of a clearance and the chance of valve collar failure increases along with excessive noise from the rocker arm hitting the end of the valve stem like a hammer. Too tight a clearance and hard starting or significant loss of compression will take power away from the engine.
Please perform this procedure when the engine is cold.
- Remove the OHV cover from the top of the engine. Usually a 10mm socket with extension and ratchet.
- Pull the recoil assembly until intake rocker arm is all the way in the down position, compressing the valve spring.
- When the intake is in the down position, we are going to adjust the exhaust rocker arm to 0.008 in.
- Pull the recoil assembly until the exhaust rocker arm is all the way in the down position, compressing the vale spring.
- Now we are going to adjust the intake rocker arm to 0.006 in.
- Re-install the valve cover and gasket. Be sure the breather tube is connected from the valve cover to the air filter backing plate.
- Start and confirm the engine's running sounds. The engine should sound normal at this point.
View and download the PDF version here.