Big Block Engine Governor Adjustment
This covers the following Champion Power Equipment models: 270cc - 439cc Gasoline Powered Engines.
- To reduce the risk of injury, user must read and understand the operator’s manual before using this product.
- DO NOT make any adjustments to the product without first stopping the engine and disconnecting the spark plug wire.
- Burns from hot parts — let the engine cool completely before touching hot parts.
- Injury from moving parts
- To reduce the possibility of fire or explosion, be careful when working around gasoline. Keep cigarettes, sparks and flames away from all fuel‐related parts.
- Our setting is done by removing the gas tank first. While standing in front of the control panel side of the generator, identify where the governor arm and shaft are located. Now loosen the pinch bolt at the pint where the governor shaft exits the engine. Be sure that the governor arm moves independently from the governor shaft.
- Once the bolt is loose, rotate the shaft counter-clockwise with needle nose vice grips until it stops. Next, push the governor arm in a counter-clockwise position until it stops again. With pressure applied to both the arm and the shaft, pinch the bolt to hold these positions. You have now set the governor in its standard setting. Upon needing an increase in RPM to compensate for more load, the governor should now move the throttle rod to add more throttle.
The engine should now run at a smooth, steady RPM which will create 61.5 Hz. You can test to see if it's working by turning the fuel to OFF and then determine if the throttle rod moves to increase the throttle as the engine speed slows down from lack of fuel. It should start pulsating back and forth if it is working correctly. The light weight spring needs enough tension on it to reduce the slack of the governor rod where it connects to the governor arm. Too much tension is no problem, too little is. If needed, you may tighten the spring by pulling the hook tighter, or cutting and making a new loop.
View and download the PDF version here.