Home Standby Generator Warranty
10-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY*
Basic Warranty Provisions
Champion Air-Cooled 8.5kW – 20kW Home Standby Units USA and Canadian Models
For a period of 10 years or 2000 hours (whichever occurs first) from successful activation by an Authorized Champion Home Standby Dealer, Champion Power Equipment will, at its option, repair or replace any part(s) which upon examination, inspection and testing by Champion Power Equipment or an Authorized Champion Home Standby Dealer is found to be defective under normal use and service, in accordance with the Warranty Schedule set forth below.
Any equipment that the purchaser/owner claims to be defective must be examined by the nearest Authorized/Certified Champion Home Standby Service Dealer. This warranty applies only to Champion Power Equipment automatic standby generators used in “Standby” applications as Champion has defined Standby. Scheduled Maintenance, as outlined by the generator owner’s manual is required. This Scheduled Maintenance should be performed by a knowledgeable, experience operator or an Authorized/Certified Champion Home Standby Service Dealer.
Years 1 and 2 – Limited comprehensive coverage on mileage, labor and parts Years 3 through 10 – Limited comprehensive coverage on parts only.
- Warranty begins upon the successful activation of the unit.
- Unit should be Registered and Proof of Purchase and Maintenance must be available.
- Warranty is transferable between ownership of original installation site.
- Warranty only applies to permanently wired and mounted units.
- Any and all warranty repairs and/or concerns must be performed and/or addressed by an Authorized/Certified Champion Home Standby Service Dealer. Repairs or diagnostics performed by individuals other than Authorized/ Certified Champion Home Standby Service Dealers not authorized in writing by Champion Power Equipment will not be covered.
- A Champion approved Transfer Switch is highly recommended to be used in conjunction with the generator set. The
- Champion Transfer Switch is covered under its own, separate warranty listed in the Transfer Switch Instruction Manual and is not covered under this warranty schedule.
- If a Non-Champion approved Transfer Switch is substituted for use and directly causes damage to the generator set, no warranty coverage shall apply.
- Steel enclosures are warranted against rusting for the first year of ownership only. Damage caused after receipt of generator is the responsibility of the owner and is not covered by this warranty. Nicks, scrapes, dents or scratches to the painted enclosure should be repaired promptly by the owner.
- All warranty expense allowances are subject to the conditions defined in Champion Power Equipment “Home Standby” Warranty Policy and Procedures Manual.
THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Original installation or start-up costs.
- Champion Home Standby generators that utilize non-Champion Power Equipment replacement parts.
- Costs of normal maintenance (i.e. tune-ups, associated part(s), adjustments, loose/leaking clamps, installation and start-up).
- Units sold, rated or used for “Prime Power”, “Trailer Mounted” or “Rental Unit” applications.
- Damage to generator system (including transfer switch) caused by improper installation or costs necessary to correct installation.
- Units used for Prime Power in place of existing utility power (where utility power is present) or in place of utility power where utility power service does not normally exist. Prime power includes any application that does not use the utility grid for electric power (example: Solar power).
- Fuel connections other than conventional utility company supplied natural gas systems or conventional LP vapor withdrawal systems.
- Any failure caused by contaminated fuels, oils or lack of proper fuels, oils or failure to perform scheduled maintenance and service the air filter.
- Steel enclosures that are rusting due to the improper installation, location in a harsh or saltwater environment or scratched where integrity of paint applied is compromised.
- Failures due, but not limited, to normal wear and tear, accident, misuse, abuse, negligence or improper installation. As with all mechanical devices, the Champion engines need periodic part(s) service and fluid replacement to perform as designed.
- Failures caused by any external cause or act of God, such as collision, theft, vandalism, riot or wars, nuclear holocaust, fire, freezing, lightning, earthquake, windstorm, hail, volcanic eruption, water or flood, tornado or hurricane.
- Damage related to rodent and/or insect infestation.
- Covered warranty labor rates are based on normal working hours. Overtime, holiday, or emergency labor costs for repairs outside of normal business hours will be the responsibility of the customer.
- Any incidental, consequential or indirect damages caused by defects in materials or workmanship, or any delay in repair or replacement of the defective part(s).
- Failure due to misapplication to provide sufficient cooling air and to regularly exercise the generator under load.
- Telephone, cellular phone, facsimile, internet access or other communication expenses.
- Living or travel expenses of person(s) performing service, except as specifically included within the terms of a specific unit warranty period.
- Expenses related to “customer instruction” or troubleshooting where no manufacturing defect is found.
- Rental equipment used while warranty repairs are being performed and/or overnight freight costs for replacement part(s).
- Costs incurred for equipment used for removal and/or reinstallation of generator, (i.e.: cranes, hoists, lifts, etc.).
- Planes, ferries, railroad, buses, helicopters, snowmobiles, snow-cats, off-road vehicles or any other mode of transport deemed abnormal.
- Starting batteries, fuses, light bulbs, engine fluids, and spark plugs.
THIS WARRANTY AND THE ATTACHED U.S. EPA WARRANTY ARE IN LIEU OF ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Any implied warranties which are allowed by law, shall be limited in duration to the terms of the express warranty provided herein. Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitation may not apply to purchaser/ owner.
CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT’S ONLY LIABILITY SHALL BE THE REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT OF PART(S) AS STATED ABOVE. IN NO EVENT SHALL CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, EVEN IF SUCH DAMAGES ARE A DIRECT RESULT OF CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT’S NEGLIGENCE.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations may not apply to purchaser/owner. Purchaser/owner agrees to make no claims against Champion Power Equipment based on negligence. This warranty gives purchaser/owner specific legal rights. Purchaser/ owner also may have other rights that vary from state to state.
To obtain warranty service or your nearest Champion Home Standby Dealer call Champion Power Equipment Customer Service toll free 1-877-338-0999.