Valve Adjustments (3000+ Watt Inverters)
This covers the following Champion Power Equipment models: All 3000+ -watt Inverters excluding the Digital Hybrid models.
Read instructions carefully and completely before performing service. Please doublecheck the owner's manual to verify your generator's specific settings, as they can vary.
- To reduce the risk of injury, user must read and understand the operator’s manual before using this product.
- DO NOT make any adjustments to the generator without first stopping the engine and disconnecting the spark plug wire.
- Burns from hot parts — let the engine cool completely before touching hot parts.
- Injury from moving parts
- To reduce the possibility of fire or explosion, be careful when working around gasoline. Keep cigarettes, sparks and flames away from all fuel‐related parts.
The valve adjustment on these engines will extend the useful life by keeping the clearance between the rocker arm and valve stem at the correct measurement. Too loose of a clearance and the chance of valve collar failure increases along with excessive noise from the rocker arm hitting the end of the valve stem like a hammer. Too tight a clearance and hard starting or significant loss of compression will take power away from the engine.
Please perform this procedure when the engine is cold.
- Remove the OHV cover from the top of the engine. Usually a 10mm socket with extension and ratchet.
- Pull the recoil assembly until intake rocker arm is all the way in the down position, compressing the valve spring.
- When the intake is in the down position, we are going to adjust the exhaust rocker arm between 0.003-0.006 in.
- Pull the recoil assembly until the exhaust rocker arm is all the way in the down position, compressing the vale spring.
- Now, we are going to adjust the intake rocker arm between 0.002-0.005 in.
- Reinstall the valve cover and gasket. Be sure the breather tube is connected from the valve cover to the air filter backing plate.
- Start and confirm the engine's running sounds. The engine should sound normal at this point.
Watch a valve adjustment be performed on an OHV engine here: https://youtu.be/mYrdnPVmaDs